Friday, June 10, 2011

Slimming and slumps

Have you ever been in a slump? You know the kind, where it s so hard to motivate yourself that not even the yummiest shopping trip can put a smile on your mug. Well that is where I am at the moment, slumpish. I cannot blame it on my diet which is going swimmingly well by the way, and I definitely cannot blame it on lack of funds as it is my turn for the *goi goi (will explain this later) and a few extra days at work did not hurt either. I cannot blame it on the flu I have had for the past week since I am on a wonderful flu medicine  and I cannot blame it on the broken computers (at work and home) because I have my trusty old laptop that looks as if it was dropped out of a ten foot story building window, with wires that can only resemble a 1950's horror film monster, because it dutifully clicks on every time I open it and races through the Internet with the enthusiasm of the road runner (.....beep beep).

No, actually I cannot blame it on anything tangible. It is simply a state of mind that I am in where not much can cheer me up. The problem with being in a slump is that things build up. Projects build up, dishes build up, washing build up and swaps build up. I have decided to karate kick (or Tae bo kick which is more appropriate) this thing in the butt. I have decided to claim my life back form the 'slump monster' and get back on track. Firstly I am going to do the thing that I love the most, make a list. There is nothing more motivating than crossing things off of a list. Secondly I am going to draw up a calendar and mark all my swaps and make a timeline for when I am going to finish all of them.Thirdly I am going to spring clean my work room and make space for productivity which I am hoping is going to flow out of me like never before. I will sort out my correspondences and finish all my wips (works in progress). There is nothing more revitalizing than getting your affairs in order, taking control.

Now that I have made my declaration of pro activity (...?) I will get into some craft stuff. I bought some uber delicious felt this week and have absolutely no idea what to do with it, any ideas? I am hoping that once I am in full control of things that I will be more inspired to create. I also have started a 'free spirited amigurumi' doll that strongly resembles a Blythe doll and you can find it here at this amazing blog which offers free crochet and felt patterns for the most adorable dolls and their clothes. The swap that was mentioned in the previous installment was cancelled due to the postal strike in Canada and even though this has bummed me out completely, I am still going to make my ami. The ami that got the most votes was Belle and her rose so that is going to be interesting. I still have to contact Aynsley about which ami she chose but in the meantime her diary is completed and looking amazing. I want to post a picture but will wait till she gets it first so as not to ruin the surprise for her. The diary will be posted this afternoon. At least that is one thing that I can cross off my list.

So while I go kick some imaginary butt in Tae Bo and tackle some very real dishes, I will say good bye and leave you with the thought of maybe tackling some 'slump monsters' of your own or even creating a to-do list that puts life in a bit more perspective. So for now....Chow!

*Goi goi is a xhosa word for money pool. There are 3 of us and each week we pool a certain amount of our wages together and each week we take alternate turns in claiming it.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nasreen,

    Hope this makes you smile, I have put your box finish on my tutorials blog to show everyone, I have out a link to your blog so you should get some visits. Sorry it took a while but I finally got around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nasreen,

    Hope this makes you smile, I have put your box finish on my tutorials blog to show everyone, I have out a link to your blog so you should get some visits. Sorry it took a while but I finally got around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel exactly the same the last couple of weeks and I'm so glad I read you post- I'm going to try making a list and do what you have done and see what happens

    ReplyDelete